Saturday, March 06, 2010

~ Search Again

Salam alaikum,

"I worked on a similar kind of shiite during my Ph.D., & trust me no one's gonna read it except yourself & your poor poor supervisor.
Just so you know..

oh btw, its been more than a decade & was until recently still trying to solve 'that bit' i wrote in my thesis.. until i gave up all hope!"

I was left breathless.. well almost.

Research is pretty much a whole new search of virtually anything you're interested in - as long as you have enough time & funds for that matter :)

And if you're ready to do it without time or funds; then your research morphs into passion.
Much like the case with my brazilian professor, who was still solving a problem 11 years down the line.. & curiously he still smiles :p

The research strategy has usually three main pillars. Together they create an environment which ensures that good ideas can pass as rapidly as possible from a lab to a stage where they are of real social (or economic) benefit.


The first pillar is the basic and fundamental research.
It takes place in dark dedicated dungeons (err..labs) inside concrete campuses, behind closed doors & up in our heads somewhere..


The second pillar is applied research.
More like a bridge between the first & the third pillar, since getting from that basic fundamental research to technology commercialization can often take a hefty long time.
The physical set up of this applied research is usually through multi-party partnerships forming a dedicated center_of_excellence and not through a hierarchy of single academic institution or a corpse of corporation.

The third pillar is commercialization & technology development.
That is where almost anything promising thrown up by the basic research can be incubated in companies (or corporations for that matter) to produce an outcome.

And this is where I'd like to dedicate my today's post.
What benefit would it be if my research reeks off novelty but in the end proves to be just an addition in an already stocked up pile of non_sense?

I'm increasingly getting concerned as to what_next in terms of my withering problem_facing skills (& problem_solving too, if you're wondering).
Ftw, i don't want to end up like my professor.. heck no.
I need my results .. & if not in my life time.. then perhaps an wee assurance that what i'm doing will be of benefit to humanity in years to come, after i'm no more.

Till then, lets just re-search on & keep fingers crossed..hoping..
for hope sustains the whole wide world.




Time Line of Muslim Scientist of Middle Ages.

Image-shot of original manuscript of Muslim Surgeon & his surgical instruments.

The Astrolabe is one of the most important scientific instruments developed by Muslims used widely in the West until modern times.

Quran on Embryonic Development

& on origin of the universe.

~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~
blog comments powered by Disqus